Buckland Dafflin-Mitchell House Friendship Hall Edmondson House
Home
ABOUT US TOWN HALL HISTORY MEET THE PEOPLE RESOURCES
East New Market Historical Marker
East New Market Historical Marker
Photograph Marc Bramble
A Brief History
East New Market was settled during the second half of the seventeenth century and began as a trading post between Native Americans and European settlers.

The area was first mentioned in a grant to Henry Sewell dated 1649 in London, England. On a map dated 1673, the region is largely depicted as being inhabited by woodland indians with a fort located near the town known as "Fort Warwick". After colonization, some of the earliest family names were Adams, Anderton, Melville, Pattison, Rix, Smith, and Taylor. These families settled into basically four land grants known as Bath, York, Carthegena, and Warwick. Warwick was situated between what is currently the Town of Secretary and East New Market. This area was largely owned by the Hooper family. The next group of families to purchase land and build residences were the Daffin's, Ennalls', Gist's, Hodson's, Hicks', McKeel's, Newton's, Sulivane's and Thompson's.


Looking East on Railroad Avenue - circa 1920
Looking East on Railroad Avenue - circa 1920
Photograph Courtesy Marc Bramble
Many of these families were seeking religious freedom and economic gain through the purchase of property. It isn't unusual for families to have owned real estate in this area, but never living in the area until later generations, if at all. In 1790 the village of "New Market" was starting to appear on maps.

A post office was established in 1803 and shortly thereafter "East" was added to the town's name, renaming the town East New Market in 1827. The town was incorporated under the session laws of 1832, and a town commission was instituted, predating by many years the adoption of that form of small-town government by many other jurisdictions.



Main Street Looking South circa 1900
Main Street Looking South circa 1900
Photograph Courtesy Marc Bramble
The town grew with the introduction of the railroad in the latter part of the 19th century. This allowed agriculture to gain economic strength within the county. It was during this time that religious and educational institutions became even more established through their reputations as centers of learning and worship.



Please visit the following links to experience a bit of the heritage that lives on
in some of the historic places in East New Market.

Historic Homes of East New Market:
  • Buckland
  • Dafflin-Mitchell House
  • Edmondson House
  • Friendship Hall
  • New Market House

    Other Historic Structures:
  • Houses of Worship
  • Public Places & Schools

    More Historical Information On Our Town:
  • East New Market - A Brief History
  • Our Historic District
  • Meet The People
  • Maps, Plats, Deeds, & Books - collinsfactor.com
  • 1877 Interactive Map - collinsfactor.com


  • Some information on these pages has been provided from the notes of Marc Bramble.

    Some information on these pages was found in:
    "Between The Nanticoke and the Choptank - An Architectural History of Dorchester County, Maryland;" Edited by Christopher Weeks, with contributions by Michael O. Bourne, Geoffrey Henry, Catherine Moore, Calvin Mowbray, M. Fred Tidwell.
    Published in 1984 by The Johns Hopkins University Press and The Maryland Historical Trust


    Home    |    About Us    |    Contact Us    |    Site Directory
    © Copyright 2004 - Town of East New Market - All rights reserved.
    This site was funded in part by the
    Rural Development Center - University of Maryland Eastern Shore
    Questions?Email: enmtownhall@gmail.com