Buckland Dafflin-Mitchell House Friendship Hall Edmondson House
Home
ABOUT US TOWN HALL HISTORY MEET THE PEOPLE RESOURCES

East New Market native, Myra Jones graduated in 1895 with the third class of the University of Maryland Nursing School in Baltimore. After a career in nursing Myra retired here and lived to be older than 100 years.
Meet The People
East New Market has had a fascinating collection of historical characters living in its vicinity. We would like to introduce you to a few of them.

    Colonel Henry Hooper 1687-1767
  • Resident of Warwick Fort Manor
  • Father: Henry Hooper II
  • Mother: Marry Ennalls Hooper
  • Was a member of Council and Chief Justice of the Provincial Court of Maryland
  • First served in the Assembly of Delegates and Burgesses 1724 through 1727

Return to Top


    Colonel Joseph Ennalls c1745-1779
  • Member of the Upper Battalion, Dorchester County Militia
  • Delegate to the Ninth Convention, known as the Constitutional Convention of 1776
  • Commissioned 1776 Colonel Upper Battalion DOrchester County Militia

Return to Top



Daffin Mitchell House

Return to Top


    Henry H. Garnet 1815-1882
  • Born a slave in New Market, Maryland (now known as East New Market)
  • Escaped in 1824 to New York where he studied to become a Presbyterian Minister at Oneida Theological Institute
  • Served as a pastor in Jamaica from 1835-1856 returning to the U.S. during the Civil War when he lobbied President Abraham Lincoln to permit African American enlistment
  • Appointed pastor of 15th Street Presbyterian Church in Washington D.C.
  • Garnet was the first African American pastor to deliver a sermon to the U.S. House of Representatives
  • Appointed the first minister to Liberia in 1881, but died shortly there after

Return to Top


    Thomas Holliday Hicks 1798-1865
  • Father: Henry C. Hicks
  • Mother Mary Sewell Hicks
  • Hicks political memberships spanned the parties: Whig 1836, Democrat (American) by 1857, Constitutional Unionist 1860, Republican 1861
  • Town Constable of New Market, Maryland 1819
  • Sheriff, Dorchester County 1824
  • Maryland House of Representatives 1829-1830, 1836
  • Executive Council 1837-1838
  • Register of Wills, Dorchester County 1838-1851, 1855-1858
  • Served as Governor of Maryland, 1858-1862
  • Died February 13, 1865 in Washington D.C., buried in Cambridge Cemetery in Dorchester County

Return to Top


    The Sulivane Family Friendship Hall
  • Daniel Sulivane was a member of the Maryland Assembly Delegates and Burgesses from 1745-1752, again from 1758-1769. He was Sheriff from 1752-1755.
  • James E. Sulivane purchased 300 acres on July 21, 1812, at Warwick Fort Manor from Henry Hooper.
  • Captain William Sulivane was nominated June 17, 1847 to serve as a delegate to the Whig Convention.
  • Colonel Clement Sulivane served as a State Senator in 1878. In 1902 he was one of the 28 members of the Cambridge Bar Association.
  • Col. O'Sullivane built Friendship Hall during the first quarter of the 18th century.
  • Read more about Friendship Hall

Return to Top


    Anthony Lafayette Manning(1831-1878)
  • First Eastern Shore Regiment - Infantry
  • Maryland Volunteer - Assistant Surgeon
  • Date of Muster April 1, 1863 - Date of Discharge December 23, 1864

Return to Top


    Major Anthony Manning
  • Owned parcels and a tract of land known as "The New Market Tract" which was also known specifically as "The Manning Estate."

Return to Top


    Nimrod Newton (?-1876)
  • Postmaster September 4, 1861 - 1865
  • Descended from the Colonial family of William Newton
  • Served as a town commissioner as early as 1839
  • His son William Fisk Newton also served as postmaster from 1870-1874
  • The Newton Family owned the earliest existing post office structure in East New Market. It is currently known as Hamil Smith's office at 3 Academy Street.

Return to Top


    Reverend Dr. Jefferson Labala (February 12, 1950 - )
  • Born in Liberia, Dr, Labala was appointed to the Methodist Conference June 1990-2001 to pastor the East New Market - Linkwood ME Charge, with his family, Dr. Hildaria Labala and their three children.
  • During that time Dr. Jefferson Labala was instrumental in the annexation of the East New Market depot area.

Return to Top


    Charles Francis Hurley 1910 - 1997
  • Descended on his father's side from East New Market families: the Stevens and Newtons
  • Received his B.S. from Northwest Missouri State University in 1935 and his M.A. from Columbia University in 1944
  • Worked in the education field for 43 years including teacher, coach and principal at East New Market High School, rising to Supervisor of Secondary Schools for Dorchester County until his retirement in 1976
  • In the 1940's helped bring about a statewide high school equivalency degree
  • Sixty years of service and leadership roles in the Masons(Choptank Lodge), East New Market Volunteer Fire Company, and the Lions Club; as well as in support of Scouting, Dorchester General Hospital, and the MAC planning committee for Dorchester County
  • Worked for the establishment of the current at large one-man-one-vote system for Dorchester County Council elections

Return to Top



Please visit the following links to experience a bit of the heritage that lives on
in some of the historic places in East New Market.

Historic Homes of East New Market:
  • Buckland
  • Dafflin-Mitchell House
  • Edmondson House
  • Friendship Hall
  • New Market House

    Other Historic Structures:
  • Houses of Worship
  • Public Places & Schools

    More Historical Information On Our Town:
  • East New Market - A Brief History
  • Our Historic District
  • Meet The People


  • Some information on these pages has been provided from the notes of Marc Bramble.

    Some information provided from the notes of C. Hurley.

    Some information on these pages was found in:
    "Between The Nanticoke and the Choptank - An Architectural History of Dorchester County, Maryland;" Edited by Christopher Weeks, with contributions by Michael O. Bourne, Geoffrey Henry, Catherine Moore, Calvin Mowbray, M. Fred Tidwell.
    Published in 1984 by The Johns Hopkins University Press and The Maryland Historical Trust


    Home    |    About Us    |    Contact Us    |    Site Directory
    © Copyright 2004 - Town of East New Market - All rights reserved.
    This site was funded in part by the
    Rural Development Center - University of Maryland Eastern Shore
    Questions?Email: enmtownhall@gmail.com